Monday, January 14, 2013

Introduction

The word "now" is one of those words where we nod and understand when it is used in conversation but must struggle if pressed to provide a decent definition. We have a somewhat common belief that "now" is our experience of the present, that it is the temporal equivalent of the mathematical point, with no dimensions at all, an instant already lost. But is that really what we mean?

We're told to "live in the now" at least by certain cultures, to be sure not to neglect the present by dwelling instead on the past or the future. But beyond it being "not past" and "not future" it's a pretty elastic concept. My interest in the word comes from a constant flow of observations I've had, stimulated in great part by my academic background in the philosphy of mind and other topics that fall under the wide category of cognitive science.

My premise is this: our sensation of the present moment (which we call "now") is not in fact trapped in an infinitesimal moment that is forever gone, but rather is elastic -- that it can expand and contract depending on our circumstances. I admit that to some extent it ruins the intent of the word, but I am drawn to the idea that our consciousness can inhabit more than just a microsecond at a time, that it can occupy an entire second, two seconds, and arguably more, and less -- that we have a facility given to us that allows us to expand and contract in time that is peculiarly useful to us.

I'm not intending to prove anything (I can guarantee that there will be a later post on Wittgenstein on that subject). I am simply filled with ideas that, if they are collected, may allow me (and you) to learn more about our fragile existence as we sail through time.

No comments:

Post a Comment